Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Vintage Radio Exhibition

Staying on campus is such an irritating thing to do. There are nothing to do but staying on campus, seeking for things to do. Generally, I will just sketch pictures, watch movies, or play games. However, the HAM club I am in held an antique radio exhibition.

To show my faces to a few members, since I am new, and to make myself do something, I decided to spend some time at the exhibition.

At first, I thought there would not be so many exhibitions to see. Since the location of the exhibition is far from the main big city and etcetera. I was wrong. The exhibition was perfect! It had so many different collections from different collectors and organizations. Some of them were restored by the owners, they were fully operational.

I had a good conversation with the HAM club members, and one of the collectors there about his collection. One of his collections was very interesting. He knew very detailed information regarding the radio and showed how to operate it. Some of the parts came off to enhance the transmitting and receiving the signals.

It was not a radio, but there was a the very first portable laptop on display. I do not know if it was a working model, but the keyboard still worked! The feeling when I pushed the keys was very different to the ones in modern days. It was like as if typing a typewriter.


This is a real SCR-536 hand-held radio transceiver used by the U.S. Army Signal Corps in WWII.
I did not know that I can actually hold this and touch around until one of the visitors took the transceiver and started to take pictures of it.

I also took a picture of it with me. Very vintage, rare, and interesting to know how technologies have developed. Thinking of seven decades ago, people used such a massive size of the transceiver, I appreciate how the technologies have advanced today. When I get older, will new generations say same things?


This was a section where people come and try out different types of Morse Code keys.
The one with the pendulum was the most interesting unit they had.
Morse Code is what made me become an HAM radio operator.





I knew what the vacuum tubes are, but this was my very first time to actually touch them.




I think I remember the collector saying that this unit was made in 1932.
All three big dials are to adjust and set the best frequency.
The green cylinders are capacitors. A speaker would go separately.


That circular unit kind of external speaker would go with the radio.
The collector looked for the manufacturer of the radio. However, he could not find any.
He assumes that by that time, 1930s, it was such a big hit for the radio industries,
too many new radio manufacturer companies were founded and soon few of them closed.


This is the radio I had a quality talks with the collector.
The oval shape on the top is a detachable antenna that can be attached to windows to
enhance transmitting or receiving radio  signals.

This particular model was used during the Korean War.
It is also portable that can be powered by batteries that would be stored in the bottom storage.
The maker of the radio is Zenith, and it has not been restored yet, but the collector said he will.



Oh yes. So this is the very first 'portable' laptop.
But still, it costs $4,225.00 in 1984, which today equals $9,793.49.
Also, this thing weighs 30 pounds. Do you call this portable?

I loved the keyboard by the way.


This radio & record player has been restored by a gentleman who is in military.
He explained how he restored this unit. This unit actually works by the way.


These vacuum tubes are the one I had a chance to hold and look around.
Imagine that several decades ago, these vacuum tubes were used to make a radio.



These two radios above are the ones that are used during WWII according to a collector.
These units would be installed in ships or aircrafts to receive AM and CW signals only.

It was very nice to visit this exhibition.
Also, I realized that I need to pay $20 for the club membership.